On Saturday, March 11, 2017 Astana Toastmasters Club (ATC) hosted Humorous Speech Contest.
Anyone willing to participate could do so since the contest was not restricted for participation of ATC current members only.
The contest was organised in order to highlight how public speakers could effectively use their skills, talents and humour to make the audience laugh and enjoy their presentations. Eventually we had six outstanding and bright contestants, who confirmed participation and stepped forward to entertain the public. These were:
1. Zhantuar Yertayev (ATC current member)
2. Akbota Sabetova (ATC current member)
3. Anuar Unaibekov (ATC current member)
4. Kanat Bazaraly (ATC current member)
5. Aigerim Sanayeva (ATC current member)
6. Zhanna Kussainova (ATC current member)
The intrigue of the contest was that the judges’ names were not announced up until the beginning of the session. This was done in order to prevent the conflict of interest as well as to add anxiety to the event. In the end we had a very multi-national, diversified and gender-tolerant jury panel comprising of these wonderful people:
Matthew David Charnetski
Sérob A. Manoukian
In order to increase transparency of the assessment of the contest speech evaluation criteria were published before registration was open:
1. Content (speech value, effectiveness, speech development)
2. Delivery (body language, voice, manner)
3. Language (appropriateness)
An outstanding facilitation of the contest was delivered by two Timers who managed to thoroughly follow-up on time usage appropriateness. These were:
1. Sogdiana Akhmetova
2. Ali Akiltayev
Great support was provided by ATC officers’ team:
1. Raushan Satibaldiyeva has organised a wonderful Table Topic Session for all guests and fellow toastmasters.
2. Aidana Koptileuova provided amazing administrative support and organised coffee-break for all attending the event.
Finally, when we enjoyed presentation of six humorous speeches judges have made the following decision – the top three best participants were:
1st place – Aigerim Sanayeva. As an award she received full ATC membership payment for half a year (1 April – 1 October 2017)
2nd place – Akbota Sabetova. She was awarded with 50% ATC membership payment for half a year.
3rd place – Yertayev Zhantuar was awarded with 25% ATC membership payment for half a year
Once again, I’d like to thank everyone who participated, organised, attended this event and I’m looking forward for the next ATC upcoming endeavours!